Sunday, October 24, 2010

Long Copy and Guerilla


This advertisement for McClure's pickles is eye-catching because you immediately notice the white space which resembles a wine bottle, along with McClure's label. Thereafter you go on to read the headline which reads, "When is it appropriate to bring pickles instead of wine?" From the headline I get the sense that as I read more I will get some reasoning behind why I should substitute pickles instead of wine when going to a friends/neighbors home. Some of the reasons included, wine is cliche, there are so many types and you might not bring the right one, they may need a salty side dish if they are running behind schedule, etc. According to the article, the only case in which you should bring wine is if your store doesn't have McClure's. All in all, the copy is fun and tries to brand pickles as a substitute for bringing wine to your neighbors dinner. I like what the ad is trying to do and I think the image (white space) definitely catches my eye and encourages me to read the ad.

This advertisement definitely catches the eye of passer bys. My only worry would be about the limited reach if its in the water. However, people walking by who see this polar bear who clearly shouldn't be there, instantly begin to speculate. The ad aims to build awareness for VARA TV program in Amsterdam, and the issues with climate change of course. This works because polar bears definitely don't belong there so people instantly realize they need to begin changing their habits. This ad strikes peoples emotions because polar bears are viewed as "cute" animals. I think this ad will inspire people to tune into the program and at least raise more awareness of the effects of issues like global warming.

No comments:

Post a Comment